Monday, March 14, 2011

Starting tomorrow.....

So, two of my friends and I have decided to embark on a Make Something Every Day for a year project.  Here's how it came about...

I was clicking through the internets one evening and ran across the book, 365: A Daily Creativity Journal by Noah Scalin.  I had seen something on the book before and thought it sounded really interesting.  I also have neglected a lot of my own creative urges for a while (mainly due to cable TV and apathy - more on that later) and thought it might be a good thing to have. Then I forgot about it and went back to watching every episode of Being Human on BBC America.

Vampires and werewolves are so dreamy.


Then, in February, my parents gave me an Amazon gift certificate for Valentine's Day (in addition to a lovely arrangement of tulips).  The book popped up in my "previously viewed" list and I immediately added it to my cart.  I posted about my purchase on Facebook and two of my awesome and extremely creative friends asked if they could do tandem projects.  Yes!  Accountability!

We were originally going to start on March 1, since it was the beginning of the month (and happened to be Mark Paul Gosselaar's birthday), but needed a little more time to plan.  We decided upon March 15, AKA The Ides of March, to start our projects.  It is also the birthday of Fabio, Sly Stone, Andrew Jackson, and Lightnin' Hopkins, so there's that.

I have disconnected my cable and sent apathy to the corner.  I will be sending a piece of mail a day for a year. Here's why: I grew up in a time before the internet, cell phones, and text messaging.  I remember how much I loved waiting by the mailbox and how exciting it was to get a letter or a postcard (or a package!  Holy moly!) from somewhere far away.  I think a lot of people feel the same way I do.  I'm going to send my little bits of nostalgia out and hope they bring a smile to the receiver (and maybe the various handlers along the way).

If you would like to get something in the mail from me, please message me your address - even if I don't know you!  I also remember LOVING pen pals! 

My first piece of mail is going to my parents, because they made me and they're my favorite people.

No comments:

Post a Comment